Many of the foods that we humans consume are highly toxic and dangerous to cats. And, both humans and cats have different digestive systems which means that food is not metabolized in the same way. In addition, we must bear in mind that the cat is an animal that has more difficulty than the dog to eliminate toxins through its liver and therefore, is more sensitive than dogs to certain foods.
Before feeding your cat with your food or the leftovers from it, you should know what are those foods that can significantly damage your health . Therefore, here are the 7 most dangerous foods for feline consumption . It is important that you do not give them to them, since many can be even deadly. Be careful and stay alert, so your best friend will be with you for a long time.
Raw fish often have bacteria and parasites that cause vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems in cats. In addition, thiaminase present in raw fish could break down thiamin and cause neurological problems in cats, and even cause seizures.
Chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid highly toxic to cats because it causes vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, hyperactivity, muscle tremors and even convulsions, which could lead to death.
Onion and garlic
Onions and garlic contain high amounts of thiosulfate, a substance that damages red blood cells, which has fatal consequences for cats because it causes weakness, anemia and severe respiratory problems.
The raw egg has an enzyme that decreases the absorption of vitamin B, which entails diseases in the coat and skin. In addition, raw eggs can expose them to salmonella and other parasites that could lead to an inflammation of the pancreas, called pancreatitis.
Grapes are highly toxic to cats because they cause kidney failure that can lead to death. Keep bunches of grapes and raisins away from your cats and dogs.
Cats love to drink milk, but unless you have a cow in your garden, try not to give it a drink because commercial milks are loaded with chemicals and additives that are very harmful to your health. In addition, the digestive tract of a cat becomes lactose intolerant as it grows, therefore, if an adult cat drinks milk it can suffer diarrhea, colic and other gastrointestinal disorders.
Candy such as chewing gum, candies and mints contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that causes a sudden release of insulin in the cat's body, which in turn leads to hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels). It can also affect the liver. Symptoms include vomiting, fatigue and lack of coordination.