How to obtain the title of sworn translator in Spain

Many official documents need to be translated into another language by an accredited specialist. This is where the figure of Sworn Translator comes in. We tell you how to obtain the title of sworn translator in Spain


Be of age. Have a Spanish university degree or homologated by the Spanish state. Possess the Spanish nationality or any other state of the European Union.


There are two ways to obtain the title: Obtaining a Bachelor's Degree in Translation and Interpreting at one of the Spanish universities that offers the possibility of taking a certain number of minimum credits that are needed; or passing the examination of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAEC).


The MAEC exam consists of four tests, three written and one oral: Written tests require three different translations. One with a dictionary (legal subject) and two without it. They tend to focus on specialized journalistic texts with a high level of difficulty; The oral test is a commentary on a text that you can read beforehand and from which you can take notes. It is about demonstrating the mastery of the language to be translated orally. After passing these tests, a list will be published in the Official Gazette with the new sworn translators that will become part of the full list of them. After the publication of said list, you must present a university degree, a photocopy of the ID and three passport photographs. In addition, the stamp will be registered in the government delegation of sworn translator that must be printed in future translations.

More information

There are many languages ​​in which in Spain you can practice as a sworn translator after passing this exam. For more information about the languages ​​and dates of the convocation, go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs () or the Order of February 8, 1996 (BOE No. 47 of February 23, 1996)

  • If you have any questions, go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They will be able to resolve in detail any specific problem you may have.