It is difficult to know when our dog is bad unless there is some clear symptom such as blood in his stool or elsewhere, vomiting, diarrhea, or cough. But the truth is that our pets also suffer from pain, such as stomach pain. Therefore, if you see that your dog is eating less, has lost his appetite or spends the day lying down without playing as an active dog, he may have some ailment. If you notice any symptoms or you see that you have eaten an unwanted object, you should take it to the veterinarian. If you can not take it immediately or to alleviate this ailment, we'll tell you how to cure stomach pain in a dog .
How to recognize stomach pain in dogs
The stomach pain of dogs is not very different from that of people and may be due to several causes, although in dogs it is not very common. Recognizing this ailment in a dog can be very difficult since, if the symptoms are not very evident, we may not realize it.
Some of the symptoms that your dog can have if his stomach hurts are:
- Lethargy or find it too tired or lying all the time.
- Let him cry or moan.
- Abnormal posture, such as arching forward as if guarding your stomach or stretching too much.
- Heavy breathing
- Swelling in the abdomen, which may even be stiff.
- Your stomach growls or has constant or very odorous flatulence.
- Sometimes they also bite or lick the area.
Causes of stomach pain in the dog
Some of the causes that can cause stomach pain in your dog are:
It is the most common cause and does not usually last more than one or two days. You can carry out some actions in your own home so that your dog is the best possible, but it is best to take the veterinarian as soon as you notice something strange, especially if the symptoms persist more than 24 hours or you find traces of blood in the stool or vomit.
In this other article we discovered 10 foods that a dog can not take and why.
Many dogs take everything they find on the street, and not only that, if we have children they may take their toys to their mouths. There are a lot of reasons why our dog may have swallowed some strange object, toxic chemical or vegetable. And this can make your stomach ache or cause vomiting. In this case the problem will disappear when expelled through the faeces, although sometimes it requires some kind of intervention on the part of the veterinarian to help him to expel him.
Dilation or stomach volvulus
Stomach volvulus or stomach dilation occurs because the stomach has filled with air swelling in such a way that it presses the veins that carry the blood with impurities preventing it from being cleaned and all those impurities are stagnant in the blood. This usually occurs in large or giant dog breeds and no matter the age or physical condition of the dog, it can occur at any time.
It can happen because he is a very barking dog, because he eats quickly and gets air, for exercising after eating or drinking water after exercising, among others. It is a very serious condition and if in addition to dilation there is gastric torsion (the stomach twists on itself) the situation worsens.
In this case you will notice some symptoms such as unproductive gagging (the dog wants to vomit but can not), dilated abdomen, excessive salivation or difficulty in breathing. In this case you have to take your pet immediately to the veterinarian because it is a serious case. In we give you some tips so that you learn to avoid stomach torsion in dogs.
Like humans, dogs can also suffer from helicobacter bacteria, although in the case of animals it is not pylori but heilmannti .
How to cure stomach pain in a dog
When it comes to indigestion, it is best to let the animal rest and not feed it for 5 or 6 hours so that its digestive system rests. Of course, you must always have plenty of water so you can hydrate. Do not force the dog to eat if he does not want to.
If you see that giving water the animal vomits then ration the water in small amounts every half hour. If in the two or three hours after giving you intermittent water does not vomit then you can leave it again free access. If, on the other hand, you continue to vomit then it is best to take it to the vet .
After a few hours, or even a day without food, go introducing it little by little. It is best to start with a small amount of food and, if possible, buy some that is low in fat so that you can digest better. There are some specific dog foods for recovery.
In this other article we tell you how to treat indigestion in dogs.
Avoid your dog's digestive problems
You can also avoid digestive problems in your animal by following a series of recommendations.
- Adequate diet and in fair amounts . A quality and adequate food your dog (breed, age, health) is essential to avoid poor digestion. In addition, the right amount of food is also key to avoid heavy digestion. The proper rations for a dog are mentioned in canine food containers.
- Avoid eating quickly. When a dog eats quickly eating a large amount of food, either because of anxiety, or because as well, it can cause not only a bad digestion but a lot of air in your abdomen, which can be serious If you notice that your dog eats quickly you can Ration the food in two parts and offer it in an interval of 15 minutes. There are also the so-called feeders of slow dosage that are the same as normal but with cracks (sometimes in the form of drawings) that make the dog eat more slowly.
- Do not perform physical exercise right after eating. Getting your dog to walk just after running or take him to run or play is a mistake because it does not let the food rest in the stomach. The best thing is to rest at least half an hour.
- Avoid giving bones or leftovers from your food. Bones can cause serious gastrointestinal problems in the animal and homemade meals that have not been supervised by a canine nutritionist can cause poor digestion.
- Diets for dogs with delicate stomach. Dogs that suffer from conditions such as gastritis, food intolerance, or irritable bowel must carry a specific diet. For this there are certain therapeutic feeds.