Canaries are one of the most beautiful birds we can have at home as pets. They can be with us for about ten years, accompanying us from childhood to a more mature stage, although there have been cases of canaries that have lived to 20 years of age. These birds native to the Canary Islands, Madeira and the Azores can bring a very pleasant sound to our lives, as they love to pay homage to us with their song. However, when the canary gets out of his cage you can have some problems to convince him to come back. Or even worse: your canary could fly through a window opened by carelessness. But do not worry because in .com we teach you how to recover it with this article on how to find my canary . These are some simple tips that will keep your canary safely and safe at home and back in its cage.
If you do not find it at home
When the bird has hidden in some corner of the house and you can not find them to put it back in the cage you can follow the following steps to solve the problem:
The cage in perfect condition
Make sure the cage is an attractive place for your canary . If your home is dirty, in a cold, dark and secluded place, you probably do not want to return, and rightly so, who would want to live in such a place? The best places in the house to locate your bird's cage are those where you usually spend most of the time, since the animal, just like you, wants company. In this article we give you some tips so you can take care of a canary.
The well-lit places will also give life to the bird, but make sure you do not place it near a window to prevent the canary from feeling threatened by the outside. Placing toys in the cage will also make it a more welcoming place, as will the usual cleaning. You can also try to give treats whenever you enter the cage again, this way it will seem a good idea to return.
Be careful when you let it out
Try that the outside of the cage is not very stimulating for the canary, or you will want to sneak away as soon as you have the chance. Avoid feeding him when he is away, he must relate the food to the cage, so that whenever he wants to eat he will go back home. Always place your toys inside too. On the other hand, do not let him leave only once a week or less. This will make the bird anxious to get out and, when it does, want to stay as long as possible outside.
Instead let him go out daily for a while. Another tip is to try to make the bird get tired as much as possible. Make him fly throughout the house. When he feels tired, if his cage is a place of comfort for the canary, he will return to rest alone. You can also associate your time of eating or sleeping with the time you return to the cage. This is achieved by letting him out for a while before refilling his meal or when it is time to rest.
If after a while the bird has not returned to the cage on its own, the first thing to do is to stay calm. Animals are very sensitive to violent or nervous body language. Shouting to return or looking for it anxiously making sudden movements throughout the house will only serve to hide better and avoid us. The best thing you can do is call him with a calm voice and a soft tone. Check all the rooms calmly and naturally. Your canary may fly by itself until it lands on your shoulder if it sees you calm.
Look for the Canary
If the relaxed movements are not enough for the canary to approach you should start a more exhaustive search. Look at every corner of every room . Make a visual sweep from top to bottom constantly, since your little canary can be perched or hidden in any object, or be flying over your head without you noticing. The first places you should direct the search are those that are most dangerous to the integrity of the canary, for example: stoves, chimneys, open windows, doors, water glasses (can drown in the interior), bathrooms or under the sofas (or behind).
There are also places where it is difficult to detect the canary, even when you think you have already looked at them. These hiding places are: the lamps, the shelves, the plants, the curtains, under the furniture, the frames of the photos, baskets of dirty clothes or drawers.
If your canary has left home
It is easy that in an oversight we forget that there was a window or an open door through which a canary would fly. Two situations can happen: that you see the canary fleeing through the window, so you have time to react immediately - or that you do not realize until some time has passed.
In the first case we recommend that you follow these instructions if you want to catch it on the fly :
- Do not lose it in any moment of view . Go running to the street and try to chase it visually as far as you can. The visual contact is essential to achieve a successful result. Canaries do not usually fly long distances and, if they also have been in the cage for a long time, they will not do very well. This gives us the opportunity to catch him as soon as we see him taking a break on his newly undertaken trip.
- Call the canary continually while you chase it. Remember that you should use a calm voice, if you feel stressed, it will move further away. As if you were at home, bring it with your friendly voice. If suddenly the canary feels threatened by places and objects that he does not know, he will come to you and you can attract him home with the simple demand of your voice. And if you also carry your cage and toys with you, the bird may run towards it as soon as you notice the stress of the outside world.
- If you have lost sight of your canary it returns to the place where you saw it the last time. You can ask your friends, neighbors or relatives to help you find it. Do the same thing you would do at home: call it constantly with soft and relaxed tones and look for it by making vertical visual sweeps. Look especially at the plants and trees, they will be your favorite places to rest.
- When your canary lives with another canary you can take your partner with you to sing and serve as a claim. Place the cage in a high place, where the escaped bird can see and hear easily. It is possible that if you listen to your partner fly to the cage to meet him. In this other article we give you some tips for your canary to sing.
- Remember that the bird will not fly very far, so looking for it beyond a mile will be unnecessary at first. Within this radius focus on parks, gardens, trees, shrubs ...
- When you find it you may find it difficult to catch the canary, especially if you do not carry the cage with you or do not find it attractive to return. If you find a hose nearby you can wet the bird so that it is heavier to fly and easier to capture. Do it in lots and quickly. Once you catch it, take it gently without hurting it. If, on the other hand, it is nighttime, it will be easier for you to catch the canary, since you will be tired of a whole day of adventures. If you illuminate the face with a flashlight you can blinding it briefly so that you have time to catch it.
What to do if it does not appear in 24 hours
When we have not been able to catch the canary in the first twenty-four hours of the search, it is best to return home and wait for it to return, since finding the bird in the street can now be very complicated. All you can do is leave your cage near a window . Leave both open and wait for the bird to fly near the house and recognize your home. This is much more effective when our bird has a partner that sings at the window as a claim.
Have your favorite food and toys ready in the cage and try to leave a little Hansel and Gretel-style food path to guide you home. Put birdseed in the street, in the door and in the windows and have faith that it will return. It is also a good idea to buy a trap and place it outside on the street, next to the food, or place an extra cage on the roof of the house, also with food and toys.
If several days pass and it does not return
Your bird may have been totally lost and you may not find your way home. If so, it will be days and days without you going through the window again. But do not despair, there are many effective ways to find a lost bird, even in a big city.
- Search through the Internet, social networks or neighborhood groups associations of animals lost in your neighborhood and city. Give them a picture of your canary and they will help you find it through their own tools.
- In the digital age it is very effective to publish ads on Facebook and other social networks. You can also ask all your contacts to share it. Add a phone number and if someone locates your canary on the street he will call you right away.
- Do not underestimate the traditional method. Placing posters continues to help thousands of people find their lost pets. A simple photo and the description of the canary with a phone number will suffice.
- Keep calm at all times, your body language should attract the canary, not chase him away
- Make him want to return to his cage turning it into a cozy place
- Acuse it to return home at a particular time of day (time to eat, to sleep)
- Let it fly free at home daily for short periods of time
- Reward him with a treat whenever he returns to the cage
- If you have escaped follow him while you call him constantly with a relaxed voice
- If you can not find it, make vertical sweeps so that it is easier to locate it